Dr Kim Willey qualified as a Canadian Solicitor in 2005 and as a Bermudian Barrister and Attorney in 2011. Her practice includes a full range of commercial and corporate finance transactions with particular emphasis on the re/insurance and financial services sectors. Kim regularly advises non-commercial (captive) and commercial reinsurance clients on entity formation, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, and merger and acquisition transactions, and on the establishment of regulated investment business, funds and insurance-linked-securities structures, and digital asset businesses. Kim also advises clients with debt and equity listings on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
Kim is recognised by all of the major international legal directories. Notably, she is considered a ‘global leader’ in insurance and reinsurance by Who’s Who Legal. Kim is ranked as a 'next generation partner' by The Legal 500 and one of ‘Bermuda’s most successful and influential female senior executives’ by Bermuda Re & ILS.
Prior to joining ASW Law, Kim worked for a leading Canadian law firm, practicing in the areas of corporate and securities law, with a focus on the mining and oil and gas sectors.
- Apollo Global Management, Inc. (NYSE listed) on all Bermuda legal aspects of its proposed US$11 billion acquisition of Athene Holding Ltd, a Bermuda exempted company and leading provider of annuities products and retirement services
- Stryker Corporation (listed on the NYSE) on all Bermuda legal aspects of its US$5.4 billion acquisition of Wright Medical Group NV (listed on NASDAQ), a global medical device company focused on extremities and biologics, and resulting internal restructuring
- Aon and Willis Towers Watson on all Bermuda legal aspects of their proposed US$30 billion merger
- Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC) on its US $1.7 billion acquisition of OneBeacon Insurance Group (NYSE: OB)
- Bermuda-based Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd (NYSE:ENH) (“Endurance”) on the US $6.3 billion acquisition of Endurance by Sompo Holdings Inc. (TSE: 8630) (“Sompo”), one of Japan’s biggest insurers, which was Sompo’s largest acquisition outside of Japan
- XL Group Ltd (NYSE:XL) on a redomestication to change the place of incorporation of the ultimate parent holding company, XL Group Ltd, to Bermuda from Ireland
- XL Group plc on its US $4,28 billion offer to acquire all of the capital shares of Catlin Group Limited (LSE: CGL) to form a combined business which has a leading presence in the global specialty insurance and reinsurance markets
- Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd (NYSE:ENH) on its US $1.8 billion offer to acquire all the issued and newly issued common shares of Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd (NYSE:MRH), a Bermuda exempted company
Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd (NYSE: FSL) on the Bermuda legal aspects of its merger with NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ: NXPI) to create a combined enterprise with a value of US $40 billion
Kim has contributed to numerous publications and presentations relating to commercial and securities law, and is a regular presenter in this area. Notable publications include the book, “Stock Market Short-Termism Law, Regulation, and Reform” (2019, Palgrave) which includes a forward by Martin Lipton, founding partner of the law firm of Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. Kim also publishes regularly on matters related to Bermuda insurers and reinsurers, most recently authoring “Cannabis Captives: Ahead of the Game” in the Captive International: Bermuda Focus (2021).
Kim’s recent speaking engagements include:
- “Captives and Cannabis”, Bermuda Captive Conference 2021, Panel Moderator
- “Captive Review – Live Bermuda Webinar”, Bermuda Development Agency and the Captive Review 2021, Live Speaker
- “What is beneficial ownership and why does it matter?”, Chartered Governance Institute of Canada, National CPD Webinar 2021, Speaker
- “Cyber Risk – A Primer on Compliance”, The Institute of Internal Auditors (Bermuda Chapter) 2021, Speaker
- Solicitor, British Columbia, Canada (2005)
- Barrister & Attorney, Bermuda (2011)
- University of Victoria, British Columbia, Bachelor’s Degree (1999), Bachelor of Laws (2004) and Masters in Business (2004)
- York University, Osgoode Law Hall, Toronto, Masters in Business Law (2015)
- University of Cambridge, PhD Law (2019)