Dispute Resolution / Restructuring & Insolvency
T: +1 (441) 294-0140
Matthew has over 15 years’ experience of interlocutory, trial, and appellate advocacy and litigation, before both courts and arbitration tribunals. Matthew has been in Bermuda for nearly four years, and in this short time he has acted, and advocated, on some of Bermuda’s most prominent contentious matters, including:
- The liquidation of PDV Insurance Company Ltd – Venezuela’s national oil and energy (re)insurance captive - advising the company liquidators, and representing them in the Bermuda Supreme Court, in respect of the ongoing liquidation. (Re)insurance claims advice extending to major oil spills and incidents, maritime claims and international disputes subject to courts and arbitrations across the globe. This matter has involved extensive international public law issues arising from US and international sanctions. The liquidators are currently promoting a scheme of arrangement in which reinsurance receivables would be transferred to a subsidiary cedant.
- In the matter of PB Life & Annuity Co Ltd - acting for the Bermuda Monetary Authority (Bermuda's financial and (re)insurance regulator), in the liquidation of a long-term (re)insurer, involving complex advocacy/legal argument on section 36 the Bermuda Insurance Act 1978 as to the definition of "insurance debt" before the Bermuda Supreme Court (with all other parties represented by King's Counsel).
- In the matter of Titan Petrochemicals Group Ltd – lead advocate on behalf of a creditor of the company before the Bermuda Court of Appeal, concerning the liquidation of a part Chinese state-owned oil, shipbuilding and commodities trading conglomerate.
- The Robert Brockman Trust litigation – Bermuda counsel of record, part of a large international legal team, advising a trust company, and associated funds, involved in the largest US tax fraud allegation against an individual in our history (US$ 2 billion). Representation of the trust, and funds, before the Bermuda Supreme Court. Advise on related insolvency proceedings.
- The liquidation of Northstar Financial Services (Bermuda) Ltd – advising and representing a creditor (one of the largest American multinational investment banks) in the liquidation of an international Bermuda-based long-term reinsurer and financial services company, prompted by a federal wire fraud and bribery criminal conviction in the US. Representation of the creditor before the Bermuda Supreme Court.
In addition, Matthew is regularly called upon to provide litigation advice and assistance on pre-eminent international corporate matters (many with a (re)insurance aspect), including mergers and acquisitions, hostile takeovers and share rights plans, funds, joint ventures, actions against directors, and shareholder appraisals.
Prior to Bermuda, Matthew worked for a year in the British Virgin Islands ("BVI"), where he advised and assisted on a complex US$ 1 billion dispute concerning Russian energy (oil, gas and nuclear) and international commodities entities, with public international law issues extending to US and international sanctions, and an appeal to the UK Privy Council. During this time, Matthew also advised and acted on corporate disputes and insolvencies, infamous funds disputes, worldwide freezing injunctions, and insurance matters. He had conduct of advocacy in the BVI Commercial Court, and the Court of Appeal, for the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court.
Before moving offshore, Matthew practised as an independent Barrister in London, England, for 10 years, with a focus on contentious (re)insurance, international trade, corporate law, and insolvency matters. Matthew had conduct of interlocutory, trial, and appellate advocacy before the High Court, and Court of Appeal (including pursuing out of hours / urgent injunctive relief).
Matthew is a qualified and endorsed Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and he has passed the New York Bar examinations.
- Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited v. Sino Charm International Limited and Ors  CA (Bda) 5 Civ 2
- In the matter of PB Life and Annuity Co. Ltd  SC (Bda) 1 Civ. 12 January 2023
- Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited v. Sino Charm International Limited and Ors  CA (Bda) 13 Civ 9
- In the matter of Markel CatCo Reinsurance Fund Limited & Ors  SC (Bda) 12 Com (25 February 2022)
- In the matter of Northstar Financial Services (Bermuda) Ltd  SC (Bda) 68 Com
- St John’s Trust Company (PVT) Limited v. Watlington and Ors  SC (Bda) 62 Civ
- Re the B Trust, Medlands (PTC) Ltd v. Attorney General et al  SC (Bda) 41 Com
- "Bermuda: Litigation", The Legal 500 Comparative Litigation Guide 2023
- “Litigation and Dispute Resolution in Bermuda”, International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) 2021
- “Does International Commercial Arbitration Fulfil its Objectives?”, International Bar Association 2010
- Barrister, England & Wales (2008)
- Barrister, British Virgin Islands (2018)
- Barrister & Attorney, Bermuda (2020)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Fellow, FCIArb)
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments
- Insolvency Practitioners Association
- Recovery and Insolvency Specialists
- INSOL International
- University of Westminster, LLB (Honours) Law (2007)
- The College of Law, Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding) (2008)
- International Bar Association, LLM International Legal Practice (Distinction) (2010)