T: +1 (441) 295-8146
Neil joined ASW Law in 2003, prior to which he worked for leading law firms in London, New York and Frankfurt. He is a qualified lawyer in Bermuda, England and New York.
Neil has extensive experience working on large commercial, financing, corporate finance and corporate insurance transactions.
Neil is ranked by all of the major international legal directories. Notably, he is top-ranked by Who’s Who Legal and considered a ‘thought leader’ in (re)insurance. He is also top-ranked by Chambers & Partners and is listed as a ‘Band 1’ practitioner across the board for corporate, financial services and (re)insurance. Likewise, The Legal 500 consider Neil a ‘leading individual’ in (re)insurance.
The independent legal directories provide:
- Neil Horner has a strong experience in high-value international transactions, with a specialism in insurance, reinsurance and financial services. He has a robust reputation among peers and clients praise him as “very knowledgeable, very responsive and business focused.”
- Neil Horner is commended for his deep experience advising on high-value M&A and insurance transactions. He offers complimentary regulatory expertise. One client stated: “He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable of corporate finance and insurance law.” Another source added: “He is best in class in Bermuda.”
- Acted for Apollo Global Management Inc. on US $11 billion acquisition of Athene Holding Ltd
- Acting for Covea Mutual Insurance Group company on its proposed US $9 billion acquisition of the Partner Re group from EXOR
- Acting for HSBC on Bermuda aspects if the financing of The Leadenhall Building
- Advising Austerlitz Acquisition Corp. on its US $3.2 billion acquisition of Wynn Interactive Ltd
- Acted for Nordic Trustee AS and ING Bank NV on its US $400 million refinancing of the Floatel International group’s debt
- Acted for Stryker Corporation on the Bermuda aspects of its US $5.4 billion acquisition of Wright Medical Group BV
- Acted for Aon and Willis on their proposed and subsequently aborted US $30 billion merger
- Advised RBS on Bermuda aspects of €483,000,000 senior facility agreement relating to acquisition of Planet Payment by Fintrax
- Advised an ad hoc creditor group on the Digicel scheme of arrangement
- Acted for XL on its US $15.3 billion sale to AXA SA
- Acted for FGL Holdings on the Bermuda aspects of its US $550 million notes offering pursuant to rule 144A of the US Securities Act
- Acted for Markel Corporation on its acquisition of Nephila Capital Ltd
- Acted for Apollo Global Management LLC on its acquisition of a majority stake in the Catalina insurance group
- Acted for I Squared Capital on its US $1.2 billion acquisition of Inkia Energy Ltd
- Acted for American Insurance Group on its US$5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Holdings Ltd
- Acted for Blackstone and FGL Holdings on Bermuda legal aspects of FGL Holdings’ $1.8 billion acquisition of Fidelity and Guarantee Life Insurance Company and Front Street Re
- Acted for Intact Financial Corporation of its US $1.7 billion acquisition of One Beacon
- Acted for Liberty Mutual Group on the Bermuda aspects of its US $3 billion acquisition of Ironshore from Fosun
- Advised Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. on its US $6.3 billion acquisition by Sompo Holdings, Inc.
- Advised Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd. on its acquisition of a portfolio of assets from Orion Mine Finance for CND $1.125 billion
- Acted for NCB Financial Ltd and funds managed by Portland Private Equity on the acquisition of a majority shareholding in Clarien Group
- Acted for LogMeIn, Inc. on the Bermuda aspects of its US $1.8 billion acquisition of the GoToMeeting division of Citrix Systems, Inc.
- Acted for XL Group on its re-domestication of XL Group Ltd to Bermuda from Ireland
- Acted for Bridgepoint Capital on its US $370 million management buyout of Appleby Global’s fiduciary and administration services business
- Acted for Endurance Specialty on its US $1.8 billion acquisition of Montpelier Re
- Acted for Freescale Semiconductor Ltd on the Bermuda aspects of its merger with NXP Semiconductors NV to create an enterprise with a value of US $40 billion